90`s Kid (open letter) - By Shweta Suresh

Dear 90's shows.

When I see what's wrong with the kids today, I wonder where has the innocence gone?

The major difference I see is you.

I still remember the days when I came running from the school bus, with my bag hopping with my footsteps, just in time to watch you. You lifted my mood and filled my eyes with wonder. You taught me values and morals in a way that never bored me and made it look so cool. Tom and Jerry taught me that we fight more with our loved ones. Richie rich taught us that altruism is a true gift. Jonny Bravo made us realize that relentless flirting can never gain women's attention but such rejections can never stop us from loving ourselves. Flinstones taught us that you can be happy without technology. The road-runners show taught us to never give up in life. Powerpuff girls gave me the courage to become a badass without compromising my feminity. Its okay to be afraid, that's what I learned from the Cowardly Dog. Popeye motivated me to finish the spinach in my dinner. From Noddy to Bob the builder, from Pokemon to Oswald, from Dexter to Scooby Doo you were the one who created some of our most loved companions after school. You are the most beautiful part of my nostalgia. Even today, as I sit with my friends who share this experience with me, we reminisce those days, those truly golden years of cartoons, the characters and the shows that not only entertained us to no end but also gave us invaluable life lessons. Thanks for a wonderful childhood.



With love,

90's kid.
Shweta Suresh

Comments

Popular Posts